Unify Your Lead Data with Ease: Learn How to Normalize Your “Country” Field in Adobe Marketo”
Is your CRM encountering bidirectional data sync errors due to conflicting values in the “Country” field of leads? Here’s a process to normalize this field for smoother data flow. The goal is to unify the data format by standardizing the abbreviated country names.
To begin, we needed a list of correct country names from Salesforce (SF) and a list of frequently encountered abbreviations in our database. The process involves four blocks with a tree structure, with the “Check and Distribute” block as the main block.
- Check and Distribution.
- It consists of two smart campaigns, batch and trigger, which check the “Country” field. If it’s empty, the “Fill Empty Field” block is called, and if necessary, the lead is added to the “Country is empty” list. First, the batch is executed to perform the initial normalization of the entire database. This is done once. To maintain the program’s current operation, the trigger is activated. It will be triggered on the creation of a new lead or changes to the “Country” field and will normalize each lead separately.
- First, the batch is executed to perform the initial normalization of the entire database. This is done once. To maintain the program’s current operation, the trigger is activated. It will be triggered on the creation of a new lead or changes to the “Country” field and will normalize each lead separately.
- Fill Empty Field
- If empty, the “Fill Empty Field” block fills it with the “Billing Country” or “Inferred Country” values. If a value exists, it’s checked for conformity to the standard. If not, the normalization process begins.
- Normalization process
- The normalization process has a list of possible abbreviations for each country divided into eight smart lists to make the whole process less memory consuming. Each list has a campaign to normalize the abbreviations, and the “Check and Distribution” block calls the correct campaign for each smart list. For instance, the “Country audit AD-BW” smart list has a campaign to normalize the first part of the abbreviation list. Each abbreviation in the “Country” field is replaced with its standard counterpart, such as “Andorra” for “AD” or “United Arab Emirates” for “AE” and “UAE”.
- If normalization fails, the lead is placed in the “Country is not in list” list or “Country is empty” list. To ensure consistent data flow, use a picklist in lead forms for introducing country data and regularly process the non-form leads’ “Country is not in list” or “Country is empty” lists.
To ensure standardized data in Marketo, introduce country data using a picklist in lead forms, and regularly process “Country is empty” and “Country is not in the list” lists for non-form leads.
Normalizing the “Country” field can help reduce errors and ensure data consistency between your CRM and Marketo. Stay tuned for more details about the normalization process.